We continued to walk the pretty streets and find amazing food and friendly people. The next day we made our way to the beach. While getting there was a little complicated, we arrived at Marina di Pisa and a small pretty beach full of mostly locals. We spent the whole day there and Brooklynn loved playing in the sand and water all day. It was very relaxing and so fun! We also found a Neapolitan pastry shop where I was finally able to taste wonderful pastries again, I wish I could've taken a whole bunch home! We had plans to then go to Florence the next day, but I really wasn't ready to move on. I loved the charm and peacefulness of Pisa and I longed to stay.
But we couldn't stay forever, the 3rd day we took a bus to Florence and arrived in a much different city then the one we'd just been in. Florence was busy and touristy, with not a patch of relaxing grass in sight! But beautiful just the same. Here the bus system was even more ridiculous, but somehow we managed and started by going to Santa Croce to see the tomb of Michaelangelo. Ryan being an amazing artist himself and so admired Michaelangelo's work, had to see this spot. We then walked the streets to the famous Ponte Vecchio bridge and just before that saw where Michaelangelo's David had originally stood before being moved to a museum and replaced with a replica. We then went to the top of the hill to overlook the city. It was such a beautiful site with the sun shining right down on the river, the sky turning pink, and all the beautiful artistic buildings making it such a site to see. I can see now why it is often called the most romantic city in the world (except that we had a sweet, little one year old trying to run around all over the piazza!). Ending the day with more amazing food and the best gelato on Earth, I was so thanking God for blessing us with this trip.
Our last day was spent seeing most of the main sights and hoping Brooklynn wouldn't freak out and behave. We went to the Medici chapel to see the tombs Michaelangelo carved and fortunetly Brooklnn was sleeping when we saw the Duomo and museum that housed the David. Seeing the David was really amazing. It was so huge and so real, we sat and stared at it for a long time. Ryan pointed out an interesting feature in how he was able to make him look so young and yet so powerful at the same time. Since we couldn't take any pictures, Ryan sketched and I bought a print, but it was really nice memory to have. The next morning we would have to fly back home. While I was somewhat ready, because traveling with a one year old isn't easy, my heart was not ready to leave. It wasn't ready 4 years ago and it wasn't this time either. But somehow I had to force myself to not wish the airport was broken down or something.
It was such a lovely trip, it really made me again long to live there. But I know God has his reasons for bringing us to Budapest instead and I have greatly enjoyed Europe in all and the wonderful people I have met. And while I deeply long to be reunited with my family and friends again, I think I would much rather live in Europe than any other place I've ever lived.
No comments:
Post a Comment