So as I spend the week waiting to leave for Hungary. I decide to do some research on this area of the world that I know nothing about. I stumble onto countless websites, reading history, looking at facts, staring cluelessly as I listen to a language that seems impossible! As I finally stumble onto a website that has Hungarian sign language. Ah, something more familiar. It has some differences from ASL, but I think I'll figure it out. I look at Romanian sign, then Polish, all the areas we're going to be going to. Then I decide I want to find out how many Deaf are in these countries, do they have Bibles in their language, do they have evangelical work happening already? I go www.peoplegroups.org and click on Europe, click on a country, click on a Deaf people group. I go to another country, do the same thing. And another. Each time I go to another one, I get more and more distressed looking at the numbers.
Hungary: 48,000 Deaf, less than 2% Evangelical, NO Bible
Romania: 113,000 Deaf, less than 1% Evangelical, NO Bible
Germany: 400,000 Deaf, less than 1% Evangelical, some Bible
Poland: 38,000 Deaf, less than 1% Evangelical, NO Bible
Czech: 50,000 Deaf, less than 2% Evangelical, NO Bible
France: 168,000 Deaf, 0% Evangelical, NO Bible
Sweden: 40,000 Deaf, Unknown Evangelical, NO Bible
Italy: 278,000 Deaf, 0% Evangelical, NO Bible
Portugal: 50,000 Deaf, 0% Evangelical, NO Bible
Norway: 21,000 Deaf, Unknown Evangelical, NO Bible
The list goes on and on and on in a very similar fashion. I'm sitting there thinking. There are like 50 different countries in Europe and just as many different sign languages. Our job is to go, learn these languages, make visual Bibles, and tell them how Jesus can truly change their lives?! We are just 2 little people joining a team of 3. How is it possible?! As I look at the numbers, my heart just breaks and I feel overwhelmed. I catch a glimpse of how Jesus must have felt when he looked at the multitudes of people lost and was moved to compassion.
But I'm not Jesus, I can't start performing miracles and spreading the word quickly, how will I ever get very far at all! I start to panic and think, we need more help! We need more missionaries, we need more people to hear a calling on their lives to go reach the Deaf peoples of Europe. But I'm not the one who makes the call, God is. And then I'm reminded of Jesus' words. Jesus replied, "What is impossible with men is possible with God." Luke 18:27. He knows stats, He knows the multitudes of people, He knows every heart, and the task that needs to be done. It is not too big for him. And when I give myself up for him, he can do things I never dreamed possible. All I need to do is trust and follow.
Luke 10
-Dorothy
Welcome to our blog! We have spent 3 years living in Budapest and traveling to new places. Now we are attempting the journey of settling in back home!
Wednesday, April 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment